Light Up the Hills
September 22, 2018
7:30 - 9:30 PM
Westhills Community, Langford
Belmont Secondary School (3041 Langford Lake Rd, Victoria, BC V9B 0L9)
Free and open to the public!
The Hills are alive with art, light, and music!
Join us on Saturday, September 22, 2018 from 7:30 - 9:30 PM in the Westhills community in Langford for the third Light Up the Hills festival.
Light Up the Hills is a family-friendly outdoor festival of light presented by the West Shore Arts Council and Westhills. Held after dark, the festival features illuminated artworks that will create a spectacular glowing effect throughout the community. Event participants will walk along a designated path, passing by various performances and artworks, using hand-made lanterns to guide their way. This community-focused event aims to showcase the creativity of local artists, musicians, and performers!
Parking will be available at Belmont Secondary School and at the Westhills YMCA. For those with small children or mobility issues, a trolley service will be circulating from Belmont, to the YMCA, and past Westhills Park.
FEATURED ARTWORKS AND PERFORMERS
- The Phoenix Rainbow by the Phoenix Rainbow Project, with Jimbo Insell (Designer), Brady Taylor (Engineer), Gabrielle Odowichuk (Lighting Design), Adam Elliot (Programming)
- Luminous Grove by Joshua Schmidt (Luminous Forest Project)
- Aurora by Limbic Media
- Love Begets Love by Gabrielle Odowichuk and Marie Specht
- Illuminus 2.0 by Cam Bremner and Chris Lamb (C&C Lightworks)
- Aerial circus artists Kaelyn Schmitt and Sarah Scheunhage
- Kaleidoscope Theatre for Young People
- Theatre SKAM
- The Quicksbottom Morris dancers.
- Maple Leaf School of Russian Ballet
- Victoria Conservatory of Music
- June & July band
- Allison Marshall, harpist
There will be three lantern-making workshops in the lead-up to the festival:
- Sat, Sept. 15 - Victoria Conservatory of Music at Westhills (210 – 1314 Lakepoint Way, Langford, BC, V9B 0L9 - in the new YM/YWCA Complex). Drop-in from 3:00 - 6:00 PM. Pay the $5 registration fee at the door or online: https://lantern-making-workshop1.eventbrite.ca
- Tues, Sept. 18 - Centennial Centre (2805 Carlow Rd, Langford, BC, V9B 4A6). Drop-in from 3:00 - 6:00 PM. Pay the $5 registration fee at the door or online: https://lantern-making-workshop2.eventbrite.ca
- Thurs, Sept. 20 - Westshore Town Centre (Unit 160-2745 Jacklin Road,BC V9B 5E3). This is an intermediate to advanced lantern-making workshop from 4:30 - 7:30 PM that has limited registration. Register online only ($15 registration fee): https://lantern-making.eventbrite.ca
Volunteer participation is essential to the success of this event. There are many roles that need to be filled, including tasks leading up to and during the event, and roles suitable for both individuals and groups.
Please download the Volunteer Package to volunteer. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.