Arts News Archives
- Kaleidoscope Theatre expands family festival to the West Shore
Jun 9, 2018 - Goldstream News Gazette
One-day event will feature three kid-friendly performances
- Vital People: Festival aims to hook kids on joys of live theatre
May 27, 2018 - Times Colonist
The Family Theatre Festival, a festival designed to introduce children to the magic of live theatre in an affordable and interactive way, returns to Victoria with an expanded program and new communities on June 9, 10 and 16.
- New arts facility on the West Shore taking shape
May 4, 2018 - Goldstream News Gazette
Society hopes it will appeal to gamut of artists.
- West Shore Arts Council celebrates 30 years
Apr 13, 2018 - Goldstream News Gazette
A party for the arts. That's what the West Shore Arts Council is calling its latest fundraiser, Arise, taking place this month.
- The Arts: A Key Component of Healthy Communites
Mar 23, 2018 - Goldstream Gazette
- Jesse Roper's new album a new approach to his craft
Feb 2, 2018 - Goldstream News Gazette
New album kicks off cross country tour for Metchosin resident!
- Make the arts part of your routine
Jan 31, 2018 - Goldstream News Gazette
Making the arts part of your new year's resolutions
- Province helps B.C. artists develop global profile
Jan 30, 2018 - Ministry of Tourism, Arts and Culture
More British Columbia artists will have an opportunity to showcase their talents around the globe as a result of increased funding by the International Presence Program.
- West Shore's free music program for at risk youth looks to secure more funding
Jan 21, 2018 - CHEK News
Since 2016 a music program on the West Shore has been helping at-risk youth by giving them confidence and a positive outlet.
- Event Combines Art, Music, and Family Entertainment
Dec 6, 2017 - Goldstream News Gazette
Winter Sounds a First for the West Shore Arts Council
- The Right Type of Music Makes All the Difference
Nov 22, 2017 - Goldstream News Gazette
Does your favourite music necessarily encourage your best workout performance?
- The Salt Spring National Art Prize: A national juried show demonstrating excellence in Canadian art
Nov 3, 2017
Congratulations to the 2017 Salt Spring National Art Prize Award Winners!
- tHUNder Duo -- A Night of World Class Drumming
Nov 1, 2017 - West Shore Arts Council
A unique percussive experience is coming to the West Shore!
- Ken Lavigne Returns to the West Shore
Oct 4, 2017 - Goldstream News Gazette
Tenor will be performing at Teechamista Theatre on Oct. 7
- Vancouver Island, Through an Artist's Eyes
Oct 2, 2017 - New York Times
Revered in British Columbia, little known in the U.S., the artist Emily Carr, born in Victoria in 1871, may be from another era, but amid environmental concerns, her words and images resonate.
- Lantern making workshops guide way to annual event
Aug 29, 2017 - Goldstream News Gazette
Family-friendly events lead up the the second annual Light Up the Hills Festival!
- What's Happening on Your Westshore
Aug 16, 2017 - Times Colonist
events for August on the Westshore
- Storytelling isn't just for kids at this event
Aug 4, 2017 - Goldstream News Gazette
an evening of stories and music
- LETTER: Juan de Fuca arts society has big plans
Aug 2, 2017 - Goldstream News Gazette
- Westshore Community Concert Band presents two more Canada 150 shows
Jul 28, 2017 - Goldstream News Gazette
- Metchosin, Sooke School District close to sale agreement
Jul 20, 2017 - Goldstream News Gazette
this looks promising!
- Editorial: Metchosin has plan for future
Jul 12, 2017 - Times Colonist
serious visioning needed
- Metchosin offers to buy school
Jul 11, 2017 - Times Colonist
- Elinor Dunsmuir's music was unique for the time period
Jul 7, 2017 - Goldstream News Gazette
- Results of 2017 AGM
Jun 16, 2017
directors for 2017-2018
- West Shore Arts Council hosts annual Art at the Pub event in View Royal
Jun 14, 2017 - Goldstream News Gazette
- School for Sale - Van de Water Views
May 10, 2017
This is the unedited version of the article published in the June 2017 edition of the Metchosin Muse.
- Sooke School District looks to dispose of Metchosin School
May 5, 2017 - Goldstream News Gazette
- Land deal on Latoria for new schools
May 5, 2017 - Times Colonist
effect on old Metchosin School property unknown as yet
- WOW 2017: The arts are a key piece to a community's social fabric
Apr 30, 2017 - Goldstream News Gazette
- Social benefits of arts studied to justify costs
Apr 29, 2017 - The Canadian Press
no clear timeline for when study will happen
- Canada 150: West Shore art installation celebrates Canada
Apr 24, 2017 - Goldstream News Gazette
- View Royal boosts arts council grant
Apr 21, 2017 - Goldstream News Gazette
Arts Council president makes a good case
- Making music in and for West Shore communities
Apr 19, 2017 - Goldstream News Gazette
- Robin Hopper a potter for all seasons
Apr 16, 2017 - Times Colonist
excerpt from article
- Obituary: Metchosin 'mud-pusher' was ceramics innovator
Apr 11, 2017 - Times Colonist
- The day the music died for a year
Mar 31, 2017 - Times Colonist
Mar 10, 2017
Port Youth Band "Soundforce" plays Langford Legion
- Arts and Culture Components Key to Healthy Communities
Feb 17, 2017 - Goldstream News Gazette
- Robin Hopper Appointed to Order of Canada
Feb 1, 2017 - Metchosin Muse
Metchosin potter recognized
- Metchosin Volunteers
Jan 27, 2017 - Metchosin Muse
- Conservatory of Music Embraced on West Shore
Dec 20, 2016 - Goldstream News Gazette
- James and the Giant Peach goes high-tech
Nov 10, 2016 - Times Colonist
- Music as medicine: the healing benefits of music therapy
Oct 26, 2016 - Goldstream News Gazette
- Robazzo Lights Up the West Hills
Oct 21, 2016 - Robazzo Eco Design
a glowing report on the first Langford lantern festival
- LIGHT UP THE HILLS
Sep 24, 2016 - video from Teagan Gosling
- The Hills are Alive with Art and Music
Sep 13, 2016 - Goldstream News Gazette
- Langford Neighbourhood set to Light up the Hills
Aug 17, 2016 - Goldstream News Gazette
- RESULTS OF THE JULY 14, 2016 AGM
Jul 17, 2016
- Triumphant Return to Metchosin for Young Violinist
Jul 1, 2016 - Goldstream News Gazette
- MISSA magic: an artistic retreat on the West Shore
Jun 22, 2016 - Goldstream News Gazette
- Musical Magic of Symphony Coming to the West Shore
Jun 9, 2016 - Goldstream News Gazette
- Artists and Crafters Join Forces for Paint-In
Apr 26, 2016 - Goldstream News Gazette
- Spencer Chandra Herbert back in the saddle as B.C. NDP critic for arts and culture
Feb 21, 2016 - The Georgia Straight
B.C. has been the worst investor in the arts out of all provinces for a long time.
- Realizing the Vision: Developments Toward a Performing Arts Centre
Feb 18, 2016 - Goldstream News Gazette
- B.C. still lags in government arts funding, according to new report
Feb 17, 2016 - The Georgia Straight
A majority of British Columbia arts organizations receive less funding than their counterparts in other provinces - both from B.C. and federal government sources.
- Baroque Festival Concert Coming to West Shore
Jan 14, 2016 - Goldstream News Gazette
- In Conversation with Art Therapist Alannah MacPhail
Nov 5, 2015 - Goldstream News Gazette
- Tillers Folly to perform in Colwood
Sep 22, 2015 - Goldstream News Gazette
- Unanimous vote settles move for Coast Collective
Sep 15, 2015 - Goldstream News Gazette
The votes are in and Coast Collective is moving to a new home.
- Coast Collective's days in heritage home may be numbered
Sep 10, 2015 - Goldstream News Gazette
The society operating the Coast Collective has run the numbers, and they don't look good.
- Making a Difference with Music
Sep 7, 2015 - Goldstream News Gazette
- New President is on a Mission
Aug 11, 2015 - Goldstream News Gazette
- Development embraces beloved art gallery; building central to plan
Aug 11, 2015 - Goldstream News Gazette
The Coast Collective will be a part of the new development slated for the Havenwood property on Heatherbell Road, as long as they can hang in during the disruption of construction.
- Time now to support the arts
Apr 9, 2015 - Goldstream News Gazette
Is it too much to dream of making an amazing feature film here, using only Vancouver Island trained cast and crew?
- A Glowing Christmas show in former Metchosin elementary
Nov 20, 2014 - Goldstream News Gazette
Brand new on the Christmas craft and art show circuit this year is Glow Art Studio and Gallery's two-weekend event, showcasing dozens of Metchosin's artists and their talents.
- Collective fun was had at inaugural Black & White Ball
Oct 22, 2014 - Goldstream News Gazette
A black and white themed event featured dinner, dancing, silent auction and of course, ART!
- Artist transforms old library into collaborative community
Sep 30, 2014 - Goldstream News Gazette
Amongst the shadows of children's laughter and concentrated silent reading, Linda Simrose has created a gathering place for artists in the former Metchosin Elementary library, invoking a sense of inspiration and collaboration for all who go there.
- Great day for B.C. Day celebrants in Langford
Aug 7, 2014 - Goldstream News Gazette
There was definitely something for everyone at Monday's B.C. Day celebration and Performing Arts Festival at Westhills Stadium.
- West Shore Academy of Music students to perform B.C. Day
Jul 29, 2014 - Goldstream News Gazette
When it comes to the arts, the West Shore is home to some truly world-class talent.
- Ken Lavigne to kick off B.C. Day celebrations in Langford
Jul 24, 2014 - Goldstream News Gazette
Colwood native Ken Lavigne is coming home for B.C. Day.
- Inspiration found in Colwood
Jul 17, 2014 - Goldstream News Gazette
It is really the only community art centre of its kind on Southern Vancouver Island. It is a magical location.
- Paint Out + Acres of Art
Jul 17, 2014 - The Times Colonist
Coast Collective Arts Centre will be bursting at the seams with art, music and food at the 5th annual Acres of Art
- THE TOP SHELF SHOW
Jun 14, 2014 - The Times Colonist
Potter, Belle Leon shown in her studio at the Coast Collective Arts Centre, is one of the talented exhibitors in the upcoming TOP SHELF SHOW at the Collective.
- Our Rich History Points to a Promising Cultural Future
Jun 4, 2014 - What's Up Magazine - June/July 2014
The West Shore's rich cultural traditions pre-date the arrival of European settlers by thousands of years. Early pioneers continued the cultural transformation as new people, great music, literature, dancing and celebrations began to infuse the local scene.
- Young Art Comes to the Coast Collective
May 16, 2014 - Goldstream News Gazette
The Our Neighbourhood Children's Art Show is giving children from the age of two right up to Grade 6 students the chance to have their work shown in the professional gallery at the Coast Collective Art Centre.
- Art centre a chance for collaboration
May 14, 2014 - VictoriaNews
Will local politics be set aside to make a shared vision happen?
- Painters go au naturel in Colwood
Apr 25, 2014 - Goldstream News Gazette
Plein air is the art of painting outside, capturing scenes directly from eye, through brush, to canvas. It is also the basis of the Al Frescoes Spring En Plein Air show at the Coast Collective in Colwood.
- Langford looking to build arts centre
Apr 10, 2014 - Times Colonist
Langford is looking at building a performing arts theatre for concerts, plays and other cultural activities.
- Art in Bloom
Apr 2, 2014 - What's Up Magazine - April/May 2014
Each spring Vancouver Island is treated to a feast for the senses as our stunning landscapes reawaken and the colourful blossoms begin to appear. Spring is also the time of year when our talented community begins a new season of cultural activities and events to delight and inspire.
- For Lovers of Art and Chocolate ...
Feb 1, 2014 - What's Up Magazine - February/March 2014
Do you love art and chocolate? If your answer is a passionate "yes!" you're going to LOVE the Coast Collective Art Centre's gallery opening for the RED show, just in time for Valentine's Day.
- Shop Local and Handmade for the Holidays
Dec 1, 2013 - What's Up Magazine - December/January 2014
Why not shop locally and support our community's cultural economy this festive season?
- A New Chapter for the Coast Collective
Oct 1, 2013 - What's Up Magazine - October/November 2013
In January 2014, the five-year-old Coast Collective Arts Centre at Esquimalt Lagoon will evolve into a non-profit enterprise as part of the Society for Arts on the South Island (SASI). It's an exciting new chapter for this community arts success story.
- "Friend of the Earth" Award for Environmental Excellence in Metchosin Presented to TJ Watt of the Ancient Forest Alliance
Sep 12, 2013 - Media Release
The Metchosin municipal council has given Ancient Forest Alliance (AFA) campaigner and photographer TJ Watt official recognition for his exceptional contribution towards environmental sustainability. Watt is the recipient of the 2013 "Friend of the Earth" Award, an environmental award presented each year for over a decade to a Metchosin resident whose contribution towards conserving the province's natural beauty has been particularly outstanding.
- Home away from home: Internationally acclaimed composer Gavin Bryars and filmmaker Anna Tchernakova (and Bluey the cat) love Metchosin
Aug 23, 2013 - Goldstream News Gazette
The first thing to jump to mind upon laying eyes on seasonal Metchosin couple Gavin Bryars and Anna Tchernakova likely isn't Marilyn Monroe, Russian feature films, opera and international acclaim.
- West Shore lifestyle one worth celebrating
Aug 21, 2013 - Goldstream News Gazette
On Tuesday, July 16, Goldstream News Gazette photojournalists spread across the West Shore to record moments in the lives of the people who make up its diverse communities.
- Colwood church celebrates century
Aug 21, 2013 - Goldstream News Gazette
It's likely been a long time since anyone arrived to church in a horse-drawn buggy, but all will have the chance at the St. John the Baptist Heritage Church Centennial on Saturday. With people in period costumes, old fashioned games for children and traditional crafts on display, the church grounds will look like a regular Sunday community gathering circa 1913.
- UPDATED: Traffic closures for Stomp performance in Langford
Aug 20, 2013 - Goldstream News Gazette
The regular music will change at the fountain on Goldstream Avenue, Aug. 26 for a free performance by Stomp, an internationally acclaimed percussion and dance troupe.
- Hop on the farm tour starting in Langford
Aug 14, 2013 - Goldstream News Gazette
Take a self-guided farm tour from Langford to Sooke.
- The Creative Edge
Aug 1, 2013 - What's Up Magazine - August/September 2013
Just like good nutrition, fresh air and exercise, creative expression is a vital part of healthy human development. Free expression and artistic activities help forge valuable life skills, which have driven technological innovation and cultural evolution throughout history. It is our human creative edge and it's all about the process, not the product.
- Library promotes local music
Jul 29, 2013 - Monday Magazine
The GVPL is launching a new collection dedicated solely to local music, July 29, at the three main district branches - Central, Nellie McClung and Juan de Fuca.
- Metchosin farm marks 25 years of lavender notes
Jul 9, 2013 - Goldstream News Gazette
Fragrant purple flowers have been the highlight of Linda Dowling's farm for a quarter of a century.
- Metchosin Farm venue draws foodies
Jun 20, 2013 - Goldstream News Gazette
The stunning backdrop of four hectares of Metchosin farmland will greet guests to the annual Feast of Fields this fall.
- West Shore Arts & Culture: A Creative Tradition
Jun 1, 2013 - What's Up Magazine - June/July 2013
Each summer over 400 artists gather in Metchosin to exchange ideas, explore new techniques and soak up the creative energy at the Metchosin International Summer School of the Arts (MISSA).
- Give your mother the Royal (Roads) treatment
May 8, 2013 - Times Colonist
Royal Roads University and its Hatley Castle opens doors to families this Sunday for the 18th annual Mother's Day Paint-In and Craft Fair.
- Social media saves farm
May 1, 2013 - Goldstream News Gazette
Nearing foreclosure and struggling to make ends meet, a Metchosin farmer turned to social media to call out for help.
- Metchosin: the chosen place for a day of art
Apr 12, 2013 - Times Colonist
After the obligatory weekend trip to Costco, my wife and I decided to improve the day with some culture in Metchosin. This small community on a lovely country road makes a perfect Sunday drive.
- Colwood artist creates homage project to build connections to nature
Apr 3, 2013 - Victoria News
Will Gordon's retrospective will feature large paintings and sculpture from the past, slipping in the addition of found objects, to his most recent works created completely with found objects. The show will also kick off The Homage Project - a series of performances around the region.
- Grade 12 students invited into the adult art world
Mar 26, 2013 - Victoria News
Xchanges Gallery is hosting the Xchanges Student Invitational Show and had six of its adult artists go to six high schools in Greater Victoria to select Grade 12 students to participate.
- Colwood committee to discuss proposed performing arts centre
Feb 14, 2013 - Goldstream News Gazette
A dream shared by many of a performing arts centre bringing culture, business and nightlife to the West Shore is taking another small step towards reality. A new report on the proposed performing arts centre for Colwood is on the agenda for the joint meeting of the planning and land use and parks, recreation and culture committees on Feb. 27 at 7 p.m.
- Colwood studies feasibility of theatre in Royal Bay
Jul 29, 2012 - Goldstream News Gazette
Colwood city council voted last week to put $30,000 towards the development of the Emily Carr WestShore Performing Arts and Education Centre.
- CFAX Interview with Colwood Councillor Shari Lukens
Jul 2, 2012 - CFAX 1070 AM
Colwood Councillor Shari Lukens talks to CFAX 1070 AM about Colwood's donation of 2.72 acres of land for an arts centre at the new high school planned for Royal Bay.
- Colwood promises land for new Royal Bay school's art centre
Jun 30, 2012 - Times Colonist
A performing-arts centre at one of two new high schools planned for the West Shore has moved a step closer to reality. Colwood council, already behind the idea of a centre at a new school in the Royal Bay area, has committed land valued at $1.1 million for the facility. The municipal land, slightly larger than a hectare in size, is adjacent to the school property.
- Colwood commits to the arts
Jun 29, 2012 - Goldstream News Gazette
Colwood city council has voted to commit 2.72 acres of land valued at $1.1 million for a performing arts and cultural centre at Royal Bay.
- On the hunt for Emily Carr
Apr 12, 2011 - Goldstream News Gazette
The pastoral, treed landscapes of Metchosin haven't changed much in 80 years - a good thing for someone seeking traces of Emily Carr. A keen eye for detail in Carr's paintings and West Shore rural pastures has helped Elaine Limbrick unearth new stories about Victoria's most iconic artist.